Coil Built Teapot

The teapot is always considered to be the main part of any tea set, sometimes its similar to the teacups other times it's contrasting in shape but never colour. My teapot was done using the method of coil building and as shown here, it is perhaps more like the Aladdin lamp from Disney than looking like a Chinese teapot. This was my first attempt at ever structuring anything in ceramics especially something like pottery work and perhaps it would've worked best if I used the pottery wheel if I had a better understanding of how to use it, still that would've more taken time and practice than I had available. 
To get the basic of the shape right I needed to keep drying the inside for every coil added as it would sink from the pressure of its shape otherwise. The spout was then added and holes were poked where the spout meets base and they were cross hatched together like the handle was. The handle was done using one of the coil coins and left to dry after I shaped it the way I wanted it go on the teapot. To do the top I added a thin coil to the top where the hole is to make a lip and coil built the lid. The teapot had cracked at the bottom during its drying stage but I believe there are ways to fix such cracks with injecting resin/glue and warming it up. Hopefully it'll look right when its been glazed.



Visit http://ceramicartsdaily.org for some useful tips in ceramics.

posted under , , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments